The latest Android SDK for Windows, Mac and Linux can always be obtained from the following URI:
It only needs to be downloaded and unzipped to your preferred hdd-location.
The Android Development Tools (ADT)
Android provides an Eclipse plugin called 'ADT' to make programming and debugging easier.
The ADT provides easy access to the LogCat, the Android-Manifest/Resource-Editor, File, Thread, and Heap Control, incoming call/sms simulation, etc. - since SDK-version m5 all for multiple emulator instances at the same time.
Installing the Eclipse Plugin (ADT)
To download and install the ADT plugin, follow the steps Google provides to developers:
1. Start Eclipse, then select Help > Software Updates > Find and Install
2. In the dialog that appears, select Search for new features to install and press Next.
3. Press New Remote Site.
4. In the resulting dialog box, enter a name for the remote site (e.g. Android Plugin) and enter this as its URL:
5. You should now see the new site added to the search list (and checked). Press Finish.
6. In the subsequent Search Results dialog box, select the checkbox for Android Plugin > Developer Tools. This will check both features: "Android Developer Tools", and "Android Editors". The Android Editors feature is optional, but recommended. If you choose to install it, you need the WST plugin mentioned earlier in this page.
Now press Next.
7. Read the license agreement and then select Accept terms of the license agreement, if appropriate. Press Next.
8. Press Finish.
9. The ADT plugin is not signed; you can accept the installation anyway by pressing Install All.
10. Restart Eclipse.
11. After restart, update your Eclipse preferences to point to the SDK directory:
a. Select Window > Preferences... to open the Preferences panel. (Mac OS X: Eclipse > Preferences)
b. Select Android from the left panel.
c. For the SDK Location in the main panel, press Browse... and locate the SDK directory.
d. Press Apply, then OK.
Updating the ADT Plugin
Updating the ADT Plugin follows the standard procedure of upgrading a common Eclipse plugin:
1. Select Help > Software Updates > Find and Install
2. Select Search for updates of the currently installed features and press Finish.
3. If any update for ADT is available, select and install.
Was this article helpful?