Android Application Development
This in-depth hook provides the concepts and code you need to start building smartphone applications with the Android programming environment, the most popular open source platform available for mobile app development. Andruicl Application Development introduces you to this environment—including the operating system and SDK—and provides working examples with thorough explanations to demonstrate Android's architectural features and APIs.
With this book, you will:
• Write Android applications that take advantage of any core function available in today's mobile devices
• Create a complete modular application that makes use of Android's UI elements
• Learn the concepts and architecture of a feature set that includes views, maps, location-based services, persistent data storage, telephony services, and inter-process comunication
• Apply ready-to-run code to implement each feature
• Learn advanced topics, such as 2D and 3D graphics, debugging, and performance analysis
This book is an ideal complement to Android's documentation. Whether you want to develop a commercial app for smartphones or a mobile mashup for personal use, Android Application Development shows you how to design, build, and test applications that are innovative, portable, and profitable.
"I have not read such a well-written book in quite some time. The most remarkable thing about it is the attention paid to details."
—Hycel Taylor, J2EE architect consultant specializing in start-ups
Rick Rogers, a professional embedded software engineer for more than 30 years, is currently a mobile solutions architect at Wind River Systems.
John Lombardo, author of Embedded Linux (Sams), has worked on several embedded Linux products including IPSEC and ARM7-based NAT routers.
Zigurd Mednieks is chief user interface architect at D2 Technologies, and a consultant and advisor to companies in the field of embedded user interfaces.
Blake Meike has developed applications using most of the GUI toolkits and several of the Java mobile device platforms.
Free online edition for 45 days with purchase of this book. Details on last page.
Was this article helpful?