Summary

We've created our second game with the power of OpenGL ES. Due to our nice framework, it was actually a breeze to implement. The use of a texture atlas and the SpriteBatcher made for some very good performance. We also discussed how to render fixed-width ASCII bitmap fonts. Good initial design of our game mechanics and a clear definition of the relationship between world units and pixel units makes developing a game a lot easier. Imagine the nightmare we'd have if we tried to do everything in pixels. All our calculations would be riddled with divisions—something the CPUs of less-powerful Android devices don't like all that much. We also took great care to separate our logic from the presentation. All in all, I'd call Super Jumper a success.

Now it's time to turn the knobs to 11. Let's get our feet wet with some 3D graphics programming.

0 0

Post a comment